When Sunderland’s fire station opened next to the town’s High Street in 1907, the civic pride of what was then the biggest shipbuilding town in the world was at its peak. It was the year that had also seen the opening of two of Sunderland’s most recognisable landmarks, the Empire Theatre and the Law Courts. The distinctive towers of these two familiar buildings are well-known to many Sunderland residents and are only yards from the old fire station. The three buildings were each built to the designs of the same Sunderland architects.
Here in the very centre of the city at the western end of the ancient high street, we are at what was once the hub of the bustling Edwardian town. The proud and beautiful buildings of this site reflect Sunderland’s extraordinary growth and development.
Click here to read the next section on the Empire Theatre