The pubs were not the first grand buildings of the neighbourhood. In 1890 the Borough surveyor R.S. Rounthwaite had constructed the public baths in classical style within this High Street site, reinforcing the role of this area as a centre of leisure.
The building has now gone, but its impressive portico entrance and clock were carefully dismantled and neatly incorporated into the modern Inland Revenue offices of Gilbridge House in 1992. This building now occupies the site of the baths.
Click here to read the next section Milburns - Architects